Every time that you change schools or your contract, then there is a need to go through the whole process of getting a work permit. Although this process is straightforward, it is laborious and you need to make sure that you leave enough time for all the components.
The first time you get a work permit there is a requirement for notarization of documents – which is the key difference between the renewal and the first issuing. The good news is that for the renewal process there is no need to visit the embassy for notarisation so this will save you a lot of time and money.
To renew a work permit, teachers need the following important documents:
– Written request for extension of work permit
– 02 color photos 4*6 cm white background, taken within 06 months;
– A notarized copy of the issued work permit;
– A valid written approval of demand for foreign workers;
– Notarized copy of valid passport (both passport page and visa page);
– Certificate of health examination within 12 months;
– Labor contract/Documents proving that the foreign worker continues to work for the employer according to the contents of the issued work permit.
– A notarized copy of the temporary residence registration certificate of the employee
– Renewing the work permit help skip the step of submitting the Criminal Record & documents proving the ability/experience of the foreigner for the position at the company. this will indeed save a lot of time and effort.
HEALTH CHECK for renewing work permit
In order to renew their work permit, teachers need to go through the medical check-up process that they had to do before starting the contract. This could take at least an entire morning.
Health checks can only be carried out in designated places. The price is also predetermined to fall around 1,750,000 VND, but many companies will refund this cost after the teacher’s contract with them is completed.
The physical examination is extremely thorough – from blood and urine samples, to a check of the heart and lungs as well as a check of vision, teeth and hearing.
It will be your staff’s job to provide you with a tax address and give it to the clinic and issue a red invoice. For many clinics, they will send the information to the human resources department instead of giving it to the teacher directly who has gone for a checkup.
The health check is very thorough – make sure you allow enough time for the whole process
POLICE CHECK for renewing work permit
In order to obtain the police check there are two main sections; a/. the certified resident residence from the local police and b/. physically going along to the Justice Department.
You are not able to get the certified resident residence certificate – instead this is needed from your landlord. Your landlord will need to go along and get the certificate by submitting your information. You need to provide your landlord with a copy of your passport, a copy of your current work permit as well as the front and back of your current residents permit.
Once you have this certificate then you will need to submit this certificate to your HR department (as they will need to use this to fill in forms in Vietnamese). You will need to physically go with your HR department to the Justice Department to submit the forms and sign.
In addition to the HR forms and certificate you also need to complete a form which asks for:
- Your family member details (mother / father / spouse) – full name and date of birth
- Information regarding the addresses that you have lived in since the age of 14. Now for some this can be straightforward but for many who moved around to different places in the world this is difficult. If this is the case for you then simply do your best to include as many as you can.
- Your permanent address – for many this will simply be your parents’ home address
- Current address
- Scan of the first page of your leasing contract which includes your name and your house address
In addition to this you need to make sure that you take along the fee – which is VND 200,000. Please note that this needs to be cash (no cards) and it would be best if you had the exact money as there is not always change.
PHOTOGRAPHS for renewing work permit
A number of photographs are needed for the renewal process. Two different sized photographs are needed – you need 4 passport photographs which are of the size 2 cm x 3 cm and in addition 4 passport photographs which are 4 cm x 6 cm.
It is important to note that these photographs need to have been taken within the past six months. There is a need for a white background and since it is for the work permit there is a need for professional dress e.g. a shirt and tie / a blouse and necklace etc. rather than a dress with thin straps or a t-shirt etc.
In addition, there needs to be no hats or hairbands etc. and you must be looking straight at the camera. The photographs should be from the chest upwards and it is essential that you can see your ears – thus you need to tuck your hair behind your ears.
The fee for the work permit itself is approximately one million Vietnamese dong which your HR department will pay when completing the process.
* A notarized copy of the temporary residence permit can be obtained from your landlord. They will need to come along and get a certificate by registering your credentials. You also need to provide your landlord with a copy of your passport, a copy of your current work permit, and a permit for staying.
After completing the application, the HR department/Employer will need to submit an application for a work permit extension to the Ministry of Labor – Invalids and Social Affairs or the Department of Labor – Invalids and Social Affairs which issued your work permit.
On average, after 05 working days, you will receive the renewed work permit.
As this article has shown, this process has a specific process, however, it takes a long time, so make sure you start doing this early enough to avoid overdue work permits.